Wednesday 3 September 2014

Crochet Dish Scrubbie Tutorial

 I have been wanting to have a go at making some of these for some time seeing as my dishcloths have proven to be so useful.  I looked at many examples on the internet and in the end I just made it up as I went along.
Tutorial - The Indigo Bluw way:
Hook: 5mm
!00% Cotton yarn suitable for Dishcloths and Crochet.
A nylon body wash cloth or ruffle sponge.
Scissors
Large wool needle.
To make the two circles I used the tutorial  Flat Circle over at Attic 24 using Double crochet stitch ( I like to look of this stitch) and crocheted 4 rounds and that seemed a good size to hold.
I then took the body scrub cloth (which was part of a present but I found it much too harsh on my skin) and cut it up into 1cm strips.  I had to knot them together to get one long length of "yarn".
I then made another flat circle, as best as I could as this stuff is not easy to handle, with a few knots showing through.
I stopped when it was just a bit smaller than the white cotton circles.
I then sandwiched the nylon circles inbetween the cotton circles and pinned through all of the layers.
I was going to hand stitch then together but then I thought that crochng the edges would add a better edge.
I did use a slightly different stitch to Attis 24 as I wanted the holes to be bigger allowing the soap to flow round more easily and I used the same stitch to go through the top loops of both circles and join them together.
I then hand stitched in the ends of the yarn to finish off .  I also popped a couple of stitches through all of the layers in the centre just to stop the layers from moving arund too much.
A new addition to the dishcloth family.
I have enough to make another one.
This little exercise gave my hand the excercise it needed and used up a bit more of my yarn.
Hope this makes sense to you.
Take care.
x


2 comments:

Gina said...

What a great idea for a dish cloth. Looking at previous posts, your "little" girl seems so grown up. Where do the years go? x

Simone Harding said...

Certainly a great idea.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...