Thursday 9 February 2012

Mollie Makes issue 5 - Gadget Case for OPAM

Due to other things I got a bit behind with my Mollie Makes kits.  This is issue 5 and the kit is for a Gadget Case..
There are templates in the magazine and full sized versions can be printed directly from the website.
The fabric which came with the kit is very nice, linen with a red cotton fabric.
There were two designs to choose from and I decided on this bird, but there also a nice flower design which I might do with different fabric.
I attached the red strip using applique and after adding bondaweb to the bird I appliqued that too.  The branches were added by using a built in stitch on my sewing machine which gave a slightly wider stitch.
Finally a button was included for decoration.  The loop was meant to go at the bottom on the side seam but I decided to pop it at the top and then maybe add a split ring or carabiner clip.
Due to the thinness of the fabric I thought that I would add a lining to strengthen it.  The eye is a small black metal brad as I felt that he needed one.
The case did turn out quite thin  in the end despite using a 1/4 inch seam but I really like this and I will use  it, most likely to keep my thread clippers in which never come with a case when you buy them.
 The magazine also featured this lovely flower crochet table runner which would look lovely in many colour ranges.
I also liked these cushions and I am delighted to see that hexagon patchwork is everywhere in blogland but also in magazines.  There were the very first patchwork design that I ever did as a youngster.
I have another Mollie Makes kit to make up  for another time, but did anyone else have a go at this one?  How did it turn out?  Perhaps I should set up a Flickr group so that we could see how all of the kits turn out?
xx


3 comments:

Tatkis said...

Wow, you did this case! I also bought this magazine issue, and going to sew it too :)

Hugs,
Tatyana

Jo said...

The applique bird looks lovely, was the kit easy to make?
I haven't bought the magazine yet.

Josie x

Pomona said...

It looks really pretty - the only one I had was with a purse, which I never made!

Hope you will join in my giveaway.

Pomona x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...