Thursday 3 November 2011

Zentangle Patterns

A short while back I mentioned about creating some off-the-cuff patterns and then whilst looking for something completely different on YouTube I found ZENTANGLES!!
Now, to start with I thought oh yes, I doodle when I am on the phone, in a boring meeting etc so what is so great about this?
Well, it is portable, addictive and fun!! The above is one of my first attempts using cartridge paper and a black sharpie pen.  I widened each of the outside loops which seemed to bring out each of the layers even more.
This is a pattern which is linked to a project which I am doing at school.  Year 7 are making a hand stitched mini wall hanging based on one of the four elements.  I used water to do my example and I got the vote of approval today.  I like to show that i can do the work as well as set it.
I shall show you some of their work next week once I have photographed it and marked it.
I have been watching keenly the work over at Crafty Panda who has produced some of the most fantastic patterns ever!!  Do go over and have a good look at her current post but also several over the past weeks.  Your jaw will drop!  They are sooo cleverly done, very well drawn indeed.  Do take a look at Youtube as well, there are loads of clips which you can watch and pause to try the ideas yourself.
I did have a go at adding some watercolour paints but I am not so sure on this.  I think that the colours need to be much bolder, but I shall try some more ideas and see where it leads me.
xx

2 comments:

manda said...

I'm stealing that first drawing idea for myself!! Don't worry, I'll give you credit. Thanks so much!

Kitty said...

I've never heard of Zentangles, but I like what you've done here very much - both the monochrome and the colour. Very cool work! x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...