Thursday 3 February 2011

Recycled Flannel into make up Pads

I saw this originally on Craftzine. I like to try and reuse items wherever I can and the chance to buy less "stuff" is always a bonus. So here is a very short tutorial that is my version of making washable and re-useable makeup and nail varnish remover pads.

We have had so many flannels given to us over the years as presents that I felt that I could sacrifice these to see what I could make.


I cut off all of the thick edges that would make the pads difficult to sew together.

I cut some bright cotton fabric (Left over from making my i-touch case) to the same size.

Then, with right sides together I stitched them leaving an opening for turning.

Having turned then through and lightly ironed them, I then increased the length of the stitch and top stitched all the way around the edge. This also closed up the opening.

I then decided to make some with flannel on both sides so that I have a clean side per eye or I could clean more nails. This was a little harder going and I did not top stitch these. I also zig zagged along the open edge due to the thickness. They may give off "bits" for a bit but we shall see.

So, I have four pads which could do about 6 goes and I still have the other flannel to cut up. I am definately going to give these a go as I am finding that cotton wool, even for taking make up off, is quite rough. I did buy some from the baby section in my supermarket but still it seemed a bit harsh underneath my eyes.

Many thanks for the comments for the Harpers post, there are more pictures to come.

xx

1 comment:

Brynwood Needleworks said...

Great idea, Andrea! I decided to get away from paper napkins and have switched over to all cloth napkins now. I'm so glad I did it. Paper napkins were a waste and so expensive! I'm having fun making more...along with matching placemats. I'll be trying your idea soon, too.
Hope you're well, my friend.
xoxo
Donna

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...