Tuesday 26 May 2009

Gone to a new home,,,,....


This is a group photo of the items that I took to a Cornish tea shop. I produced a spread sheet with all of the prices, items, code for quick reference etc. Stuck matching labels on them and it took me ages. Not to mention putting everything into cellophane bags. The last time I took some of my items to a farm shop I went two months later to change the items only to find that much of the stock was damaged and had clearly not been looked after at all. Much of it had to be thrown away. That was just over two years ago, so I felt that it was time to give it another go.

Normally the group of us that are involved have a selling price and a percentage is taken at the end, so I was a little surprised to learn that my carefully placed sticky labels would be removed so that a marked up price could be added with "proper labels" (?). Seeing as we are in a credit crunch I decided that my prices were fair any way and taking a percentage of that price would have been sufficient. It will be interesting to see what happens. If they are made too expensive I fear they will not sell at all. There are some lovely items there to look at.

I found this little basket and managed to fit 20 cards in it!

I have been asked to make some more items but I think I shall see what happens with what I have taken so far. Should I have got a signature for these items, but I thought of this once I had got home. I took this along as well. I have several of these left over from my City and Guilds course. I intend to put one in my Folksy shop this week. I wonder which will sell first?

Does anyone have more experience in dealing with shops etc? Any points/tips would be much appreciated. How long should I leave it before changing the items or having them back again?

It has been a good half-term so far and tomorrow Sophie and I are off to see a friend for a cup of tea and a bit of a natter.

Take care

Bye for now.

xx

4 comments:

JuliaB said...

Hi Andrea. Good luck with the sales. I think you should probably check in quite regularly with the shop just to make sure your stock isn't damaged. I think you should also charge them for damaged stock. If they had purchased it from a big supplier they would have to pay ... And next time, yes, get a signature on your spreadsheet with words to cover the damage clause..I would also suggest that if they are doing the usual markup for their shop (which is what used to happen where I worked last summer), then you actually sell your stock to them (this would then cover the damage aspect) .. Good luck anyway. Let us know how it goes. x

Fabric and Bags said...

Morning Andrea
Good luck with this and I hope you have lots of sales. I have just put some of my items into a shop and waiting to hear how the first month has gone. I didn't get a signature or think about damaged items either! Hmm I've obviously got a lot to learn!!

Good luck and let us know how you get on.
Cheers
Anne

Twiggy said...

I have no advice, I'm afraid, but good luck
Twiggy x

wonderwoman said...

Hi Andrea - good luck with the shop - i think Julia is right, always best to do an invoice and keep a copy - mark up what you want paymentwise - and ask them what their mark up will be. and definitely check back in a couple of weeks to see what has and has not gone and also to hear what comments people have made.
(i got your blocks okay and the notes/card are all attached!)

xx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...