Wednesday 2 April 2008

Chunky Knitted Bag Tutorial.

This tutorial is not intended to be revolutionary in any way and many more experienced knitters may not be impressed. However, as a person who has a bit of a problem following patterns and finds knitting takes too long sometimes, I did find this project refreshing. I saw a pattern that I liked, used the same size needles and wool size, changed the overall stitch used and worked out the rows etc to work to a given size. Therefore it will be easy to change this for your own needs- bigger/smaller/thicker/thinner etc.
You will need these..
This lovely chunky wool was recommended by the pattern and it really is chunky. It is brilliant!
You could use any brand of chunky wool or double up yarn to get the thickness.
You will need:
5 x 100g of Sirdar Bigga wool ( or similar)
Pair of 8mm (no.0) knitting needles
Pair of 12mm (no.0000) knitting needles
Stitch markers ( I did not need them)
50 x 100cm piece of fabric for the lining ( I used cotton)
Sewing needle and mactching sewing thread for attaching lining.
A bodkin for sewing up the bag. (The chunky wool would only go through a bodkin due to its thickness)
From here on I did it my way a little:
Using the 12mm needles cast on 23 sts.
Knit 38 rows of Moss stitch. (Or a stitch of your own choice to a size of your choice)
Work 2 rows of garter stitch (this will be the top edgeing of the front panel)
Cast off.
Repeat the above to make the back panel.
To make the gusset cast on 7 sts and work 2 rows in garter stitch to match the top edge of the back and front panels. Then work the rest of the gusset in Moss stitch ( K1, P1, K1 etc)
The gusset needs to measure approx a total of 90cm when slightly stretched (or to match your front and back pieces when gusset is slightly stretched. It would be worth checking this as you knit to make sure it fits and will help to maintain the bags shape when finished. Remember to work 2 rows of garter stitch then cast off as this will match the top edge of the front and back panels.
With the last ball of wool I found both ends and cast on 5 sts for one strap then with the other end I cast on another 5 sts for the other strap and then knitted them at the same time so that they came out exactly the same length of 40cm. (Or longer if you want them and have enough wool). At this point I needed to make sure that I had enough wool to actually sew the bag together!

Hopefully by now you will have the above pieces:
Back
Front
Gusset
Handles x 2.
I hope that this photo shows that you need to first pin the gusset to one of the panels. Match the top edges of one end the gusset level with the front panel and pin, then match the top edge of the other end of the gusset with the back panel. Then even out the rest of the gusset around the front panel. I used over-sew stitch on the inside which once finished I could not see at all!
Then do the same with the back panel.
Next, pin the handles evenly on the front and back panels on the inside of the panels. Exactly where and how far apart is up to you. I put them about 1.5cm in from the side/gusset seam.
This time I back stitched the handles on to add extra strength.

Adding the lining:
Cut your lining pieces back, front and gusset.
Allow at least 1cm seam allowance on the seams and I allowed 2cm on the top edge to fold under before attaching to the bag.
Pin the gusset and panels together. Take care with the corners and stitch on the sewing machine.
The lining should look like this when stitched together.
With wrong sides together turn in your allowance at the top of your lining and then pin it to the top edge of your bag. I decided to put it between the two rows of garter stitch.
Using matching thread I then slipped stitched the lining to the wool bag.
Do not pull too tightly, this will not affect the knitting but can make the lining a bit puckered looking.
Then hopefully you will have your own version of this...
Yippeee!! your own (quickly) knitted bag. I knitted and stitched the outter bag in approx 2.5 evening and the lining did not take long.
I really like Moss stitch , it is easy to do, very effective, firm and you can see immediately if you have gone wrong and it is easy to correct.
Let me know if this has been of any use/interest. I shall certainly develop this further over the coming months.
Hope this was not too long.
It is now Thursday even though I started this post Wednesday evening oopps!
Many many thanks for the lovely get well comments. It was not expected and cheered me up after a bad night of not getting to sleep.
:-)

6 comments:

picciolo said...

what a great tutorial, and I love the finished bag. You chose gorgeous wool!
: )

April said...

great tutorial and the bag is lovely

April xx

Purple and Paisley said...

oh, wow! the bag looks great! and i think it's simple enough for me to try! thanks for the tutorial! =)

Nan said...

I love the colors in this yarn! I like the look of Moss stitch but get so tried of knitting it! I especially like the Moss stitch for some good scrubby dish cloths, but there are so many neat patterns for cloths out there to try, that I don't make many with moss stitch, even if it is my favorite for scrubbing with! Oh well!

zakkalife said...

what a great tutorial and I love how you added a lining to it, very smart

inkberryblue said...

I think your tutorial is wonderfully explicit and the bag looks gorgeous. Well done!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...